[pypy-dev] Misc news

Rodrigo Pinheiro Marques de Araújo fenrrir at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 14:48:08 CEST 2011

Hi Armin,

2011/9/5 Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org>

> Great!  Thanks a lot.  All of test_stackless.py passes, so I'm
> checking in the patch.

test_stackless.py has only pickle tests then i have tested with examples
attached.

> Regarding performance: it's already good to get 1/3 performance
> improvement.  I think it corresponds well to the removal of the extra
> levels: indeed, our JIT should be good at "compressing" this overhead
> (if not completely removing), so getting an extra 33% by manual
> rewriting sounds reasonable to me.

only tested with attached factorial.py.

> About recursion_helper.py: ah, good idea to turn it into a decorator.
> Maybe we could include it e.g. in the stackless module.  But of course
> the best thing to do would be to have the effect semi-automatically,
> e.g. adding a way to ask the interpreter "when you have consumed more
> than X% of the stack, automatically do the next call via a switch to
> this continulet"...
>

> I think that should be included in stackless too. I not did this because
i'm not sure if the implementation is  good and the best function to
decorate. In factorial.py, _channel_action is a good place but for others
i'm not sure. Maybe expose the helper in stackless for user choose.

best regards,

Rodrigo Araújo