[pypy-dev] Cython-CEP: Native dispatch through Python callables

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Fri Apr 13 19:03:57 CEST 2012

Hi Stefan,

> Note that a wrapper function may offer more than one native signature, e.g.
> when wrapping overloaded C++ functions or when using Cython fused functions.

the big problem I'm finding for unpacking C++ functions (other than that
there's no platform-independent way to do so when it comes to methods, AFAIK
anyway), is handling of C++ exceptions.

Integrating unpacked functions pointers with PyPy works rather elegantly
through the functionality made available in rlib/libffi.py. The form of the
specification matters little at that point, as long as it is complete.

For cppyy, the current plan is to wrap python functions in generated C++
functions for callbacks. But, reading the proposal, that's only half the
story. I'd love to see the other side materialize as well.

Best regards,
            Wim
--
WLavrijsen at lbl.gov    --    +1 (510) 486 6411    --    www.lavrijsen.net