[pypy-dev] Questions Regarding Scipy in Pypy (Not a Feature Request)

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 19:05:16 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Steven Jackson
<stevenjackson121 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know there is no current plan to implement scipy in pypy, but searching
> the PyPy website, I was not able to find the reason.
>
> If it is not to be included as a feature due to lack of interest or
> developer time, I am offering to begin rewriting scipy in pure python (I
> have quite a bit of free time to do this).

Pretty much everything in scipy depends on some fortran libraries
(scipy.linalg), so the first step would be to have some system that
allow you to automatically wrap fortran through cffi. It is quite a
pain because of fortran/C ABI issues, but you could focus on one
platform only at first.

David