[pypy-dev] what does the debug cycle look like?

Brandon Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Tue Aug 14 07:11:22 CEST 2012

Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor at gmail.com> writes:

> The trick is tests!  Tests can be run without translating (actually
> the whole interpreter can, but we like tests :D).  Just run `pytest.py
> pypy/module/numpypy/` and you're running the tests, they take like a
> minute or two, which is way too long IMO, but it's totally serviceable
> for iterative development.  The only reason we ever translate is to
> asses the performance of something.

Ah!  That very nearly makes sense - tell me if this is what you meant:
the tests are not run against the translated, baked-in version of
numpypy sitting inside my pypy interpreter and that takes hours to
rebuild, but against the raw numpypy code - both rpython and normal
Python - that is sitting on the disk and that I can have just edited?

--
Brandon Rhodes      brandon at rhodesmill.org      http://rhodesmill.org/brandon