[pypy-dev] SegFault when running Scrapy tests.

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 21:57:20 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Joe Hillenbrand <joehillen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm starting a new thread because the last one seems to be on a new topic.
>>
>> I was just trying out the scrapy unit tests in PyPy and I've run into
>> some segfaults.
>>
>> To reproduce, download and install Scrapy:
>>
>> https://github.com/scrapy/scrapy
>>
>> Then run this in the tests directory:
>>
>> /usr/local/pypy/bin/trial test_http_request.py
>>
>> I haven't found the exact source of the issue yet, but I'm posting
>> this in case somebody can find it faster.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Joe
>
> Hi
>
> Thanks for the report. I'm running some tests to see what's going on,
> however, can you please submit it to bugs.pypy.org so it doesn't get
> lost?
>
> For what is worth, it might be related to cpyext and lxml.

Hi Joe

It crashes somewhere in the error recovering code of lxml. Chances are
either cython or lxml do something that pypy is unhappy about.

We're just discussing a medium-term plan how to fight with such issues
(it migth be a missing incref in a place where CPython doesn't care
for example), however for now fixing cython and/or lxml seems like the
only option.

Cheers,
fijal