[pypy-dev] Seeking a bit of guidance

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Wed Feb 8 18:40:47 CET 2012

For some reason I had assumed that pypy could be a drop in replacement
for python.  I am on Debian Unstable and I am suspected that my
assumption is being thwarted.  In particular in trying to run SCons.

|> python /home/Checkouts/Mercurial/SCons/bootstrap/src/script/scons.py
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
stopServerIfNeedBe(["allPDFs"], [])
scons: done building targets.

|> pypy /home/Checkouts/Mercurial/SCons/bootstrap/src/script/scons.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "app_main.py", line 51, in run_toplevel
  File "/home/Checkouts/Mercurial/SCons/bootstrap/src/script/scons.py", line 187, in <module>
    import SCons.Script
ImportError: No module named SCons

This may be a SCons problem or a Debian Python packaging issue but
higher likelihood is a PyPy configuration issue?  Basically I am not
sure where to start.

I use SCons from a Mercurial clone, Python from Debian packages, PyPy
from then downloaded binary distribution.

|> python --version
Python 2.7.2+

|> pypy --version
Python 2.7.1 (7773f8fc4223, Nov 18 2011, 18:47:11)
[PyPy 1.7.0 with GCC 4.4.3]

Help and guidance greatfully received.  Thanks.
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk