[pypy-dev] offtopic, ontopic, ...

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Tue Feb 14 15:59:30 CET 2012

Hi Antonio,

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 13:23, Antonio Cuni <anto.cuni at gmail.com> wrote:
> this approach would work for all C extensions then, not just Cython's one,
> right?

No.  Or maybe yes, but with much more work.  I'm suggesting to take
specifically the Cython-produced C files, with all macros redefined to
strange things detectable in the MIPS assembler.  We only need to
interpret the MIPS-compiled version of C code *produced by Cython and
using our strange macros*, which is probably much easier than
interpreting random compiled C code.

Amaury wrote:
> Are you suggesting something similar to emscripten?
> A LLVM-to-RPython compiler!
> :-)

Yes, that might work with LLVM too, but not as a compiler producing
RPython; as an interpreter written in RPython, that would interpret
some custom format derived (maybe) from LLVM's.

Or, for all I know, maybe it's possible and not too much work to have
just a full interpreter for LLVM bytecode. :-)

It all sounds far-fetched, but maybe it's not.