[pypy-dev] Global executable naming policy

Aaron DeVore aaron.devore at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 03:41:19 CET 2012

There currently isn't an official naming scheme for the PyPy
executable for system installations. Of the 3 setups I've seen, the
official build uses pypy, Arch Linux uses pypy, and Gentoo Linux uses
pypy-c<version>. I brought up the similar issue of how to
differentiate between Python 2 and 3 a while ago, but the conversation
sputtered out.

One possible naming scheme includes these executables using Python
2.7, Python 3.3, and PyPy 1.9 as an example:

pypy
pypy-1.9
pypy2
pypy2-1.9