[pypy-dev] STM status

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Feb 17 19:47:59 CET 2012

Hi Timothy,

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 19:39, Timothy Baldridge <tbaldridge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On that subject, how do I do this in the pypy STM?

You can't.  Every change is tracked, at the level of Python.  If you
don't want to do this, it would require careful language design
questions; I'll leave these for later.

The reason I'm bringing this forward is that, for example, any Python
code typically allocates and forgets tons of objects.  We would like
to tell the hardware "don't track this, it's a just-allocated object
--- so if you roll back the whole transaction, you don't need to
restore what was there".  But we can't, with the 2013 version of
Intel's HTM.  This alone means that the hardware would track at least
10 times more memory than really needed.