[pypy-dev] Bringing Cython and PyPy closer together

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sat Feb 18 10:48:26 CET 2012

Maciej Fijalkowski, 18.02.2012 10:35:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> Given that XML processing is currently slower in PyPy than in CPython, I
>> don't think that's all that bad. Users can still switch their imports to
>> ElementTree if they only want to push XML out and I imagine that lxml would
>> still be at least as fast as ElementTree under PyPy for the way in.
>
> Are you sure actually?

I'm sure it's currently much slower, see here:

http://blog.behnel.de/index.php?p=210

I'm not sure the quickly patched lxml is as fast in PyPy as it is in
CPython, but there is certainly room for improvements, as I mentioned
before. A substantial part of it runs in properly hand tuned C, after all,
and thus doesn't need to go through cpyext or otherwise talk to PyPy.

Stefan