[pypy-dev] Bringing Cython and PyPy closer together

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Feb 18 14:11:53 CET 2012

Hi there,

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:

> I somehow doubt it's possible to make this run fast using cpyext
> (although there are definitely some ways). Maybe speeding up
> ElementTree would be the way if all we want to get is a fast XML
> processor? I doubt this is the case though.

lxml does a heck of a lot more than ElementTree. If all you need is a
fast parser and serializer I figure you could wrap cElementTree using
rpython or something like that. But lxml does a lot of other things.

For some insight of why people want would lxml, there's an interesting
discussion on google app engine's bug tracker about it.

This type of discussion is instructive as PyPy's barriers to porting C
extensions, while not "just wait for google" as the google app engine
case, are still somewhat similar. In the end google finally ended up
supporting numpy, lxml and a few other modules.