[pypy-dev] Bringing Cython and PyPy closer together

Amaury Forgeot d'Arc amauryfa at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 14:45:31 CET 2012

2012/2/18 Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de>

> The weakref changes are really unfortunate as they appear in one of the
> most performance critical spots of lxml's API: on-the-fly proxy creation.
>
> I can understand why the original code won't work as is, but could you
> elaborate on why the weak references are needed? Maybe there is a faster
> way of doing this?

PyObject->ob_refcnt only counts the number of PyObject references to the
object,
not eventual references held by other parts of the pypy interpreter.
For example, PyTuple_GetItem() often returns something with refcnt=1;
Two calls to "PyObject *x = PyTuple_GetItem(tuple, 0); Py_DECREF(x);" will
return different values for the x pointer.

But this model has issues with borrowed references.
For example, this code is valid CPython, but will crash with cpyext:
    PyObject *exc = PyErr_NewException("error", PyExc_StandardError, NULL);
    PyDict_SetItemString(module_dict, "error", exc);
    Py_DECREF(exc);
    // exc is now a borrowed reference, but following line crash pypy:
    PyObject *another = PyErr_NewException("AnotherError", exc, NULL);
    PyDict_SetItemString(module_dict, "AnotherError", another);
    Py_DECREF(exc);
In CPython, the code can continue using the created object: we don't own
the reference,
exc is now a borrowed reference, valid as long as the containing dict is
valid; The refcount
is 1 when the object is created, incremented when PyDict_SetItem stores
it, and 1 again after DECREF.

PyPy does it differently: a dictionary does not store PyObject* pointers,
but "pypy objects"
with no reference counting, and which address can change with a gc
collection.
PyDict_SetItemString will not change exc->refcnt, which will remain 1, then
Py_DECREF
will free the memory pointed by exc.
There are mechanisms to keep the reference a bit longer, for example
PyTuple_GET_ITEM
will return a "temporary" reference that will be released when the tuple
loses its last cpyext reference.

Another way to say this is that with cpyext, a borrowed reference has to
borrow from
some other reference that you own. It can be a container, or in some cases
the current
"context", i.e. something that have the duration of the current C call.
Otherwise, weak references must be used instead.

--
Amaury Forgeot d'Arc