[pypy-dev] Bringing Cython and PyPy closer together

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 21:31:29 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:

> Amaury Forgeot d'Arc, 18.02.2012 21:20:
> > 2012/2/18 Stefan Behnel
> >
> >> And now the question is: how do I debug into PyPy? From the nightly
> build,
> >> I don't get any debugging symbols in gdb, just a useless list of call
> >> addresses (running the ref-counting related "arg_incref" test here):
> >>
> >> """
> >> #0  0x0000000000ef93ef in ?? ()
> >> #1  0x0000000000fca0cb in PyDict_Next ()
> >>

> > This one I know:
> > It's a bug in our implementation of PyDict_Next() that I fixed
> > today with 568fc4237bf8:
> > http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pypy-commit/2012-February/059826.html
>
> Cool, thanks! We'll see the result on the next run then.
>
> Sounds like Cython's test suite could prove to be a rather good test
> harness for PyPy as well.
>
> Stefan

Yes, ATM our cpyext test suite is basically built by reading the docs and
writing our own tests.  Unlike the rest of our test suite which draws from
the CPython test suite, and bugs found by the great many Python programs
(Django and SQLAlchemy in particular have a long history of finding bugs in
every single nook and cranny).

Alex