[pypy-dev] STM status

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Wed Feb 22 16:57:56 CET 2012

Re-hi,

A further update: for fair comparison I built a version of pypy with
no stm, -O2, and disabling the method cache too.  It takes 820ms per
iteration, not 650ms.  This places the pure overhead of STM at just
under 2x.  That's another milestone: I estimated that we would get an
overhead between 2x and 5x, and now we're under 2x :-)

Well, CPython 2.7 still runs it in 310ms, but that's maybe not
important.  I guess I will start in the coming days to play with JIT
integration.

And of course this is all on richards, an ideal benchmark with no
transaction conflicts and no I/O.  Right now I/O should work
correctly, but immediately force the transaction to become inevitable.
 There can be only one inevitable transaction at any time and no other
transaction can commit; this delays the other transactions if they
also try to do I/O or try to commit before the inevitable one.

A bientôt,

Armin.