[pypy-dev] Some NumPyPy propositions

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 19:22:03 CET 2012

Hi Dmitrey.

Let me answer your questions one by one.

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Dmitrey <dmitrey15 at ukr.net> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I would like to make some propositions wrt NumPy port development:
>
> 1) It would be nice to have a build and/or install parameter to available
> usage of numpypy as numpy, e.g. "setup.py build --numpypy_as_numpy". I know
> it can be done via some tricks, but explicit parameter would be better,
> especially for unexperienced users.

We can trivially have such a package on cheeseshop. It would do: from
numpypy import *. You can even create your own package called numpy.py
and put it somewhere on PYTHONPATH to achieve the same result.

> 2) Many soft packages have some basic functionality without full numpy port,
> but due to importing issues they cannot yield even it. For example:
> from numpy import some_func, a_rare_func_unimplemented_in_pypy_yet
> if user_want_this:
>    some_func()
> elif user_want_some_rare_possibility:
>    a_rare_func_unimplemented_in_pypy_yet()
>
> It would be nice to have possibility to install PyPy NumPy port with all
> unimplemented yet functions as stubs, e.g.
> def flipud(*args,**kw):
>    raise numpy_absent_exception('flipud is unimplemented yet')
>
> (and similar stubs for ndarray and matrix methods)

This is IMO a very bad idea. It pushes back the problem from import
time to some later time, while effectively not fixing it. I would say
just "wait a bit" or make your package cooperate with numpypy now, but
we expect new functionality to appear relatively rapidly.

> 3) Last but not least; I'm author and developer of openopt suite
> (openopt.org with ~ 200 visitors daily, that is AFAIK about 10% of
> scipy.org) and of course both openopt and PyPy will essentially increase
> their users when openopt will be capable of running with PyPy; yet I see
> some weeks or months till this still remain. I would be glad to make some
> contributions toward this, but my current financial situation cannot allow
> me to work for free. If at least basic financial support could be obtained,
> I guess I could port some missing numpy functions / array methods, maybe
> furthermore some functions from scipy.optimize or scipy.sparse. My CV and
> contacts are here: http://openopt.org/Dmitrey .

We indeed have some money, but what we have is relatively little. The
numpy work done so far was purely volunteer effort and we generally
select people for doing paid job who are already core developers or
heavy contributors. However, the money we have all come from some 3rd
parties, pypy as a project does not earn any money - there is
absolutely nothing that stops you from convincing some other 3rd party
to do work on PyPy's numpy.

Cheers,
fijal