[pypy-dev] Some NumPyPy propositions

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 18 11:42:21 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Dmitrey <dmitrey15 at ukr.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have compared contains of numpy and numpypy, numpy has 551 entries (and
> some of them are modules with lots of other funcs, like linalg or fft),
> while nympypy has only 121 entry - thus, I guess, numpypy still is too far
> from full numpy port. Well, some of numpy funcs are used very rarely and
> thus can be omitted for now.

Absolutely - for now numpypy deserves its earlier name of micronumpy ;)

> I have reviewed difference of the modules, and IMHO currently these funcs
> are most important:
>
> array_equal nanargmax hstack diag nanmin sinh atleast_1d asscalar eye
> zeros_like logical_or tile cosh empty_like array_equiv asfarray nanargmin
> asarray log2 vstack logical_xor nansum rot90 copy savetxt logical_not ceil
> median where isfinite isnan diff tanh cross flipud isscalar insert
> logical_and nanmax ones_like log log10 arccosh isinf

Some of those are certainly important - but I think every NumPy user
would give you a different list. You're missing many of the key functions
I use, e.g. https://bugs.pypy.org/issue913

> My skills and current possibilities allow me to work only on limited subset
> of the funcs mentioned above, if noone mind, during several next days I
> intend to work on he following funcs - maybe very simple to be ported, but
> very important:
>
> array_equal diag asscalar eye zeros_like empty_like array_equiv flipud
> isscalar ones_like

If they are simple and easy to import, they'll be useful to somebody :)

If they are fixed, please make a note of this on https://bugs.pypy.org/issue913

> As for the table, if you think it's hard to create and maintain, I could
> create it by myself, fill by currently done functions, share edit permission
> with you, and you will share it with other volunteers, to keep them and
> other people of numpy funcs that are done and under development. I just
> thought you would prefer to be creator and single owner of the table and
> that it doesn't take much time to be done, that's why I had proposed it to
> be done by you. Also, maybe it would be a good idea to provide link to the
> table from main pypy.org webpage.

Can the table can probably be generate automatically using dir(numpy)
and dir(numpypy) and some introspection?

Peter