[pypy-dev] Question about the STM module and RSTM

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 21:20:33 CET 2012

Hi Folks:

I understand that the STM module is still in its infancy. And subject to change at a moment's notice. I enjoy reading the transactional memory related blog posts. Over the weekend, I have been looking at the stm and transactionModule and the C++ based rstm. I haven't written an C++ based programme yet but that will change soon. If the stm library progresses a bit more, I would like to try writing Python versions of some of the STAMP examples.

Until then,  I am trying understand the relationship between stm and rstm. It does not seem that stm is simply a wrapper for rstm (a lot of work went into stm!). There are things in rstm that I see such as the ability to configure parameters, set policies and to get diagnostics (i.e., number of aborts). Are there plans to do this with the stm module?

Cheers,
Andrew