[pypy-dev] pypy translation failures

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 08:06:09 CEST 2012

On 6/07/2012 8:07 AM, Robert Grosse wrote:
> Hello, I am having difficulties translating Pypy, but googling
> searching did not reveal any mentions of similar problems, so I am not
> sure what to do.
>
> I am not able to successfully translate Pypy, using any combination of
> options I have tried. Here are my results so far.
>
> Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit
> Trying to translate pypy sandbox from latest source release (I can
> find the actual hash number if necessary).
> I used PYPY_GC_MAX_DELTA=200MB and loop_longevity=300 as suggested to
> reduce memory usage, along with -O2 and --sandbox
> The translator produced an executable, but attempting to run this
> executable with or without pypy_interact.py leads to an immediate
> termination with the message
> Fatalerror during initialization out of memory
>
> Windows 7 64 bit
> Same steps as above except without max delta, and using the 1.9 source
> release.
> The sandbox again fails with the Fatalerror out of memory. It also
> produces some weird characters before terminating which I'm guessing
> are the marshalled stdout from the sandbox.
>
> Windows 7 64 bit
> Attempt to translate plain Pypy, with -Ojit but no loop longevity.
> Translation fails partway through with a MemoryError despite several
> GB of free memory.
>
> I have tried both CPython 2.7 and prebuilt Pypy binaries to do the
> translating, and nothing I do will work. I can't find any mentions of
> others experiencing similar problems, but the fact that the problems
> show up for me with multiple versions on multiple machines with
> different OSs indicates that something serious is wrong. Does anyone
> have any idea what the problem might be?

What is the actual command line you are using?
Note that the last trunk known to complete translation correctly was
around July 3, version 20258fbf10d0. You can see the pypy buildbot
history at http://buildbot.pypy.org/nightly/trunk
<http://buildbot.pypy.org/nightly/trunk/> The "tip" version does not
translate, someone should fix it soonish.

To translate on windows, you must use pypy (only 32 bit is available)
or 32 bit cpython and follow the directions here
http://pypy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/windows.html?highlight=windows
especially this bit: editbin /largeaddressaware <translating python>

Matti