[pypy-dev] cpyext performance

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Tue Jul 10 21:58:24 CEST 2012

Hi Stefan,

> The question is if a conversion from low-level types to Python types can be
> seen and handled by the JIT, but I'd be surprised if it couldn't, since it
> generates this kind of code itself anyway.

this is beyond my expertise, but one way of making the wrapping visible, is
to generate the C stub with types, transform those in a memory block with the
needed annotations, then push that block and annotations into PyPy, and do
the wrapping and python call in RPython. This also by-passes the need for a
C-API (other than that one API to push the memory + annotations).

Sounds like something I could do today, but still feels like a square peg /
round hole kind of solution, since the code to trigger that C stub generation
would (in cppyy's case) start in RPython to begin with. Makes me wish I could
generate RPython (after translation, that is).

Best regards,
            Wim
--
WLavrijsen at lbl.gov    --    +1 (510) 486 6411    --    www.lavrijsen.net