[pypy-dev] Compiling for pypy

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 10:02:39 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Jan Riechers <janpeterr at freenet.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I got a hard time trying to get pymongo running in Pypy - I simple can't
> figure out how to build/compile the driver for Pypy.
>
> After searching I coudn't find any answer on how to translate and or
> compile the latest branch of the driver and I'm quite desperate on how to
> make this work as I really would like to make use of Pypy in my present
> project..
>
> I have a 32bit Windows here, running also Visual C++ Express Edition 2008
> - so a compiler is available.
>
> Can anyone provide me a hint on how to get started with compiling modules
> for Pypy?
> I successfully translated Pypy itself so far, but that's about it. Any
> other tips are highly appreciated on how to compile 3rd party modules.
>
> Also note: I tried the latest pymongo branch download from Github with
> "setup.py build install" - I still receive an error like this:
>
> "Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread
>
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
> way.
> Please contact the application's support team for more information."
>
> Which should be out from the pymongo driver as it seems not to be compile
> for pypy usage, right guess?
>
> Regards,
> Jan

Hi

The CPython C API compatibility layer is incomplete (and also a big hack).
This particular error *might* be related to already reported problems with
pyopenssl, I think there is even a patch. I suppose the best thing is to
wait a bit until we pull in patches for threads and then see if it helps
you.

Cheers,
fijal