[pypy-dev] Questions Regarding Scipy in Pypy (Not a Feature Request)

Steven Jackson stevenjackson121 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 15:41:45 CEST 2012

I am definitely open to working on Numpy first, my only hesitation was that
it might be hard to get spun up, and scipy seemed like something I could
slice off and do (some of) by myself without accidentally conflicting with
ongoing development efforts.

If, as your replies have indicated, Numpy isn't being very actively
developed, and it would be easy to get caught up and avoid conflicting with
other developers, then I'd be glad to help there instead of independently
trying to get scipy going.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Daπid <davidmenhur at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe the reason is that they prefer to focus the development
> effort into the more "basic" Numpy and from that go on. Numpy is not
> fully implemented
>
> I am working (actually, right now I am only in the "thinking" state)
> on some modules of NumPy, maybe we could coordinate and give this a
> boost.
>
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Steven Jackson
> <stevenjackson121 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I know there is no current plan to implement scipy in pypy, but searching
> > the PyPy website, I was not able to find the reason.
> >
> > If it is not to be included as a feature due to lack of interest or
> > developer time, I am offering to begin rewriting scipy in pure python (I
> > have quite a bit of free time to do this).
> > If it has been discussed and actively excluded from pypy, I would like to
> > know that before I waste too much time rewriting it.
> >
> > I have an active interest in being able to use some modules which depend
> on
> > scipy while using the PyPy interpreter (especially pyBrain). I have seen
> the
> > hack on the pypy blog:
> >

> http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2011/12/plotting-using-matplotlib-from-pypy.html
> >
> > I could simply use the hack myself, but unless there's a reason not too,
> > think it'd be nice to have scipy available as a pure python module
> (perhaps
> > called scipypy in the same manner as numpy).
> >
> > --
> > Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson