[pypy-dev] __pycache__ folders

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Tue Jul 31 16:26:50 CEST 2012

Hi Stefano,

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Stefano Rivera <stefano at rivera.za.net> wrote:
> And I do my best to minimize that. In this case, I thought it was worth
> the delta.

My point of view is that this goes in the same pack of
incompatibilities introduced by some distributions as splitting the
install path (which we recommend to install as one block in
/opt/pypy-1.9).  It may be useful to do that according to some
distribution-specific rules, but either you do it as a distribution
hack and we don't care about it, or you try to come here and discuss
more in details the problems that you have and how we could solve it
together.  As far as I know the __pycache__ is another example of
distribution-specific hack that we were was not aware of.  I don't
think we are by principle necessarily completely opposed to it:
whereas it still looks like a good idea to stick to CPython's
behavior, failing that, if there are good reasons, the next best
solution is probably to come with something that we can integrate into
the "real" pypy, rather than keep on your own.  If you don't, users
complain here and you are just making us hate .pyc files even more.
:-)