[pypy-dev] __pycache__ folders

Stefano Rivera stefano at rivera.za.net
Tue Jul 31 17:05:03 CEST 2012

Hi Armin (2012.07.31_16:26:50_+0200)
> My point of view is that this goes in the same pack of
> incompatibilities introduced by some distributions as splitting the
> install path (which we recommend to install as one block in
> /opt/pypy-1.9).

Most distros won't use /opt. We tend to follow the FHS.
/opt makes a lot of sense for the binary pypy you distribute. Just as it
makes sense for the binary junk that Adobe et al. distribute.

> It may be useful to do that according to some distribution-specific
> rules, but either you do it as a distribution hack and we don't care
> about it, or you try to come here and discuss more in details the
> problems that you have and how we could solve it together.

Having the same installation layout on all distros would be fantastic.
Practically, that gets non-trivial, though. Debian has the weird
dist-packages layout for cpython, that I copied for pypy, but that
approach hasn't been documented in upstream cpython or adopted by any
other distributions.

> As far as I know the __pycache__ is another example of
> distribution-specific hack that we were was not aware of.

I did my best to make you all aware of it, and get some feedback.
I mentioned the PEP3147 support here [0], and a zillion times on IRC.
But I have no problem having that conversation now that people seem to
be aware of it :)

[0]: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pypy-dev/2012-January/009104.html

> I don't think we are by principle necessarily completely opposed to it:
> whereas it still looks like a good idea to stick to CPython's
> behavior, failing that, if there are good reasons, the next best
> solution is probably to come with something that we can integrate into
> the "real" pypy, rather than keep on your own.

Yup, that's the opinion I felt before. And the approach I'm taking. But
the patch is fairly gnarly due to test-suite changes, so I haven't
forwarded it up to you.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera