[pypy-dev] connecting multiple interpreters (was: Re: change of strategy for the py3k branch?)

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Mon Jun 4 15:33:22 CEST 2012

Hi Martijn, hi Holger,

On 6/1/12, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Concerning performance overhead of proxies, lifecycle issues would be
> tricky

If, hypothetically speaking, there is someone interested in writing a
PyPy solution where both a Python2 and a Python3 interpreter are
running in the same process, then you gain the advantage of having
only one GC to run both.  At least it transparently solves the issues
of lifetime and reference cycles.  (You also have for free only one
JIT, which can do cross-language optimizations like inlining a Python2
function into a Python3 context or vice-versa).  I see these two
points as benefits that you don't have in any multi-process solution.

It would require some work on the PyPy side, and I'm not aware of
anybody ready to invest time in that, but it shouldn't be particularly
hard (once PyPy's Python3 interpreter is ready, and once people agree
about which API to use to do cross-language calls.)