[pypy-dev] connecting multiple interpreters (was: Re: change of strategy for the py3k branch?)

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Jun 4 18:31:01 CEST 2012

Hi there,

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 4:27 PM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

> I am wondering, however, how many people really have that py2/py3 need

I'm not sure that's precisely the right question, as you indicate
yourself already:

> OTOH,
> a good solution could trigger needs - that's how a lot of technology
> development works, anyway :)

Indeed. Right now many people are developing Python 2 projects. They
might be interested in a way to use Python 3 libraries in such a
project.

Right now some people are developing Python 3 projects. THey migh be
interested in a way to use Python 2 libraries in such a project. This
might in fact motivate more people to start a Python 3 project in the
first place, as they aren't faced with having to port any libraries
they may want to use.

If you asked these people a question "would you like to be able to use
Python 2 libraries in Python 3 projects" (or reversed) many of them
might say 'yes'.

But none of these people may feel they *need* a py2/py3 interpreter. :)

> and how much they care about performance in such situations.

Yes, such people might say "yes, if there isn't any other impact on my
project" (like performance). Of course there are other consequences to
adopting PyPy in a project, still..

Bringing up this idea once every while is my little contribution to
the Python 3 effort. At present I don't want to go any further. :)

Regards,

Martijn