[pypy-dev] cppyy use case question

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Wed Jun 6 00:59:57 CEST 2012

Hi Alex,

> By the way - the only reason i use C++ in my project is because I have a
> massive amount of legacy code that uses several C libraries and Qt, as well as
> openGL, so porting that bunch to python can be quite a hassle. The only
> problem is that Python side has to send certain requests to C++, those should
> be cached, processed and reported back up when done.

somehow I have a feeling that here's a general use case in there that should
be supported in a more direct way, but I can't quite put my finger on it. One
thing I'm missing, for example, is: what is doing the unpacking of the python
objects (requests) into something that the C++ side understands?

Another option may be that if the PyObject*'s can be reused (e.g. if there is
a fixed set of kinds of requests), the overhead is much, much less, as the JIT
can then consider them constants.

Best regards,
            Wim
--