[pypy-dev] Internship and bug report

Leonard de HARO leonard.de.haro at ens.fr
Tue Jun 19 01:41:24 CEST 2012

Hello,

I'm a french undergraduated CS. student currently doing an internship in
Santigo's University under the supervision of Eric Tanter. I'm working on
the meta JIT compiler provided in the pypy project, trying to document
it's performance on different kind of interpreters. I started two weeks
ago.

I have a problem with the translation toolchain. I've been writing an
interpreter for a small language inspired by Shriram Krishnamurthi's F1WAE
from his book "Programming Languages: Application and Interpretation".
My problem is the following: I have an interpreter that seems to work
perfecty (at least on my examples) when I use pypy interpreters, but
whenever I translate it, execution fails. The fact is: I have identified
the source of the problem but I don't understand it.
If you look at the parser file, on line 184, there is a "print"
instruction. With this instruction on comment, the translated version of
RPinterpret executed on test10run10 gets a Stack Overflow. Use a
translated version of the same file (RPinterpret.py) with the print
instruction in parser.py, you get the normal behavior (which you have
anyway using "pypy RPinterpret.py test10runs10").

Looks like a bug, but since I'm a beginer (both on this work and on Python
in general), maybe I have missed something.

I have the same problem with the supposely-JITing interpreter, but it's
worse since the translations takes 20min against 1min, so changing and
experiencing on the JITing file seems much harder.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
I didn't know whether I was supposed to make a bug report or just contact
the mailing list, but since I'll be working on this until september, might
as well get in touch with you right now.

Leonard de HARO

PS: As I said, I just learned Python, so maybe my files aren't verry
pretty, I apologize for that and I'll welcome any comment on my work you
could make. Thanks again.