[pypy-dev] CLI translate error with pypy-1.9

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 16:26:05 CEST 2012

On Friday, 22 June 2012 15:41:04 David Edelsohn wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 5:31 AM, David Naylor <naylor.b.david at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Sunday, 17 June 2012 09:32:35 Armin Rigo wrote:
> >> It's going to take us a loooooong time to fix CLI translation if the
> >> process goes: "you find some minor bug in the release, we attempt to
> >> fix it a bit blindly, and then we wait for the next release to know if
> >> it worked and what the next minor bug is" :-)
> >
> > This is true.  Would it be possible to do a RC release, or a heads up, so
> > that I may track down these small minor bugs *before* the release is
> > made?
>
> You said that you do not have access to the latest sources, but never
> explained why.

It was due to mercurial not being installed on my computer, and only recently
have I been able to install more software (hence my 5 day delayed reply to
Armin's email).

> You also did not respond to Armin's question about
> accessing source from the Bitbucket repository, or downloading source
> tarballs or the periodic builds from the buildbot (buildbot.pypy.org).

My original email was based on the downloaded source for pypy-1.9, the follow
up email to Armin was based on the bitbucket repository.  I don't know how to
work mercurial very well but I think `hg log` shows the latest commit was
55751:906bdd8dc432 made "Thu Jun 21 18:22:48 2012 +0200".

> If you want to help fix the CLI backend, why can't you experiment with
> the development version of PyPy?

I have tried the developer version (on the main branch?) and reported back on
my results.

I am happy to help pypy, and I am now in a position to do so (on the developer
version), however I would like to note that I have no need for the CLI backend
and would prefer to not divert energy away from other areas of the project.
But, to reiterate, I am happy, willing and able, to help where I can.

Regards