[pypy-dev] The Work Plan Re: STM proposal funding

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Wed Mar 28 11:08:50 CEST 2012

Hi Andrew,

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 17:28, Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am familar with the AME papers. AME literature seems to taper
> off. Have you tried talking to the various authors? Or get your
> hands on an implementation.

Indeed, and it was around 2007, so I expect the authors to have been
involved in completely different things for quite some time now...
But I could try to contact them anyway.

> STM is used under the hood to implement the channels and other
> associated constructs. Hopefully this would 1) lead to a smaller
> transactional footprint. 2) Totally hide STM from the programmer. 3)
> Use an already existing API.

Yes for 2) and 3): that's precisely where I'm going.  Right now I'm
focusing on Twisted instead of Stackless (with help from J.P.
Calderone), but the idea is the same: hide it totally from the
end programmer by using the existing API.  Only the one tweaking the
Twisted internals needs to know about it.  The same would apply to
Stackless.