[pypy-dev] feedback on PEP 421

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun May 6 21:29:12 CEST 2012

Hi Eric,

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for feedback on PEP 421: "Adding sys.implementation".

I will leave others to comment on that.  For myself, I can only say
that it looks like a good idea, which we will happily adhere to when
we migrate to Python 3.3.  Maybe others have more precise ideas than I
do, but I'm fine with whatever details.

The reason for that: getting details "right" might be similar to the
sys module's documentation, which has grown a number of "CPython
implementation detail" boxes --- which are rather meaningless for
PyPy, in the sense that the set of functions that are dubbed "CPython
implementation detail" and the set of functions that PyPy cannot
reasonably implement have little to do with each other.

So I'm only vaguely +1 on "sys.implementation", because what is
actually an "implementation detail" and what is not might not be
completely clear, even considering the four different implementations
so far.  I like the part of the PEP that tries to limit what is in
there, instead of adding tons of stuff.