[pypy-dev] Python FFI

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Wed May 16 17:39:14 CEST 2012

Hi Stefan,

> Then take a look at some of the tools that Cython users have written to
> generate .pxd files from header files. I heard of at least two that use
> gccxml and clang respectively. Seems like Wim Lavrijsen has also started
> doing the same thing all over again with cppyy.

not sure where the statement "all over again" comes from, given that the
tech we use for CPython-bindings pre-dates Cython by half a decade or more.
Now it's just being re-used and re-implemented for PyPy in a way that fits
PyPy best.

> I would really appreciate it if there was one way to do this that everyone
> could just settle on and use, instead of throwing massive amounts of
> separate developer time on the same issue again and again, that only lead
> to tools that "work for what the author needed right now".

That'd be great, but we (HEP) absolutely need C++ in all it's ugly glory,
and it needs to be fully automatic from the header files. W/o that ability,
which we do have today for CPython, there would be no Python in HEP. This
discussion seems to be mostly restricted to C.

Best regards,
            Wim
--
WLavrijsen at lbl.gov    --    +1 (510) 486 6411    --    www.lavrijsen.net