[pypy-dev] Faster PyPy translation (for debugging)

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Thu May 24 16:24:52 CEST 2012

Hi Timothy,

> On my machine that takes about 800sec before it starts rtyping my
> module. Are there some better options I can use if I simply want to
> make sure that my module will fit into the PyPy typesystem?

if it can find the errors, then the fastest is to use:

    pypy/bin/checkmodule.py <yourmodule>

but I very rarely find errors that way. Second is to write a jit test,
which does partial translation (only of the code reachable from the test)
and can use a fake space, which really speeds things up. Look at any of the
jit tests themselves or those in module (*/test/*jit*.py) for some examples.
It's a bit of work (and I didn't write mine, but got it from one of the
core pypy folks :) ), but I find it in practice by far the quickest way to
find rtyping errors (albeit, again, not always conclusive).

HTH,
   Wim
--
WLavrijsen at lbl.gov    --    +1 (510) 486 6411    --    www.lavrijsen.net