[pypy-dev] Translating just the parser for JVM [was: Faster PyPy translation (for debugging)]

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Thu May 24 19:08:53 CEST 2012

Hello Michal,

On 05/24/2012 06:31 PM, Michal Bendowski wrote:
> Just two add my two cents: I made the JVM backend translate the
> standard interpreter in the jvm-improvements branch a few months ago
> (just a few changes). The branch has been closed though and I had a
> busy time so I didn't do anything about it.

the branch has been merged, IIRC. Last time I tried, basic translation to jvm
worked. However, we never set up a nighlt translation, so things might have
broken in the meantime :-(

> For the last few weeks/months I was sitting in my cave and working on
> my thesis, which now lets you use JVM classes directly in RPython
> (rjvm) and also contains a naive, reflection-based jvm module for the
> resulting interpreter. I know this is not in the OSS spirit, but it so
> happened, sorry. I'm planning to merge my changes soon and hopefully
> keep on working on the JVM backend.

wow, that's a very nice news. I'd really like to see it.

A working rjvm module is also a big step forward in having a JIT for the JVM,
although the road is still long.