[pypy-dev] change of strategy for the py3k branch?

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Wed May 30 11:49:34 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Antonio Cuni <anto.cuni at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Amaury,
>
> On 05/30/2012 11:23 AM, Amaury Forgeot d'Arc wrote:
> > 2012/5/30 Antonio Cuni <anto.cuni at gmail.com <mailto:anto.cuni at gmail.com
> >>

> >     2) start a completely new repository which contains only the code
> for py3k.
> >

> > How is this different from the current py3k branch?
>
> the difference is that you would get the improvements in translator
> toolchain
> for free. See also my point below.
>
> > We could also just decide to never merge the default branch,
> > or merge only after a release of the main PyPy version.
>
> possibly, but delaying the merge would make it even more painful. The risk
> is
> that it'll become so painful that nobody will feel like doing it, and thus
> we
> diverge more and more. At the end, we end up with a py3k branch which can't
> make use of the cool new features of the JIT/GC/etc. and that will always
> lack
> behind python 2.
>
> Another point of view is that IMHO porting the changes by doing merges is
> harder/more time consuming than porting them by hand.
>
> ciao,
> Anto

Hi Anto.

I think 1) is a no-no for me. This would first mean we have py3k in the
default checkout (why???) and also that we need to make sure that py3k
tests pass all the time (they don't pass to start with). I don't see this
being any beneficial to the current model.

Besidies, this also means we'll never upgrade rpython to py3k (which might
be a good thing, just saying). Overall I'm very against pushing *any*
burden towards other pypy devs, we have quite enough work. How about you
start with detaching interpreter and translation toolchain so those things
can leave separately?

Cheers,
fijal