[pypy-dev] PyPy STM

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Oct 4 14:53:19 CEST 2012

Hi Bengt,

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Bengt Richter <bokr at oz.net> wrote:
> Just a triggered thought: I am wondering if Conway's Game of Life
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life
> might be be an interesting/fun basis for experiments and maybe a benchmark
> for STM use in the parallel update of the life grid.
>
> I am thinking of in-place update, since old-frame -> new-frame would
> not create any conflicts.

I suppose the boring answer is that old-frame -> new-frame looks more
natural.  Even if not, I can think about different answers, but it
doesn't seem that STM as I think about it is really related to them.
STM in PyPy is merely an "implementation detail" to speed up a
GIL-like user experience.

Armin