[pypy-dev] STM "version 2"

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 18:28:29 CEST 2012

Hi Armin:

________________________________
 From: Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 1, 2012 5:19 AM
Subject: [pypy-dev] STM "version 2"

>To keep you informed of the progress on STM:

>In the middle of August I found a potentially better approach to STM,
>which uses copies of objects more extensively (something which is
>neither natural nor easy to do in C/C++, which is probably why it was
>not researched before)

>I ended up documenting it extensively there, in a very terse form so far:

>* https://bitbucket.org/pypy/extradoc/raw/extradoc/talk/stm2012/stmimpl.rst

I did an initial reading of the document. Wow!

I will assume that this is the implementation section of  https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/raw/stm-thread/pypy/doc/stm.rst?

I soon intend to start playing with CPython + atomic. I will re-read the STM document. Along the way I would like to see
if I can make some diagrammes and categorise the techniques used (i.e., optimistic locking vs pessimistic, undo logs vs redo logs)
to see if I understand what is happening. Also I can ask questions along the way.

Perhaps if I understand enough, I can give  a lightening talk (5 minutes) at the next Montreal Python User group metting. Again, this
is great stuff!

Salut,
Andrew