[pypy-dev] getting cppyy enabled by default in the next release?

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Mon Apr 22 19:39:47 CEST 2013

Hi,

what are my chances of getting cppyy enabled by default in the next (beta)
release of pypy?

The code has been cleaned so that no external libraries are needed when
builing pypy-c, and none will be needed at run-time until "import cppyy".

There is, however, an increase of 1.5MB in size of the pypy-c executable,
but that should decrease when I can find more/better ways of reusing the
code in _cfff_backend as-is.

Currently, I'm working on updating the documentation and providing a tar
file with Reflex in there. Other than that, I need to find a way to get
at least some tests to run (right now all are disabled if genreflex is
not found). I'm thinking of a "dummy" backend. Anything else?

Thanks,
      Wim

P.S.: I'm figuring that if one can load a reflex library dynamically, the
code can also manage multiple of them, simply by keeping track from which
backend the reflection info came from. With that in place, several backends
could be used simultaneously, and allow tight integration since objects can
easily be shared among them. It should then not be too hard to extend e.g.
SWIG to be used in the same way.

--
WLavrijsen at lbl.gov    --    +1 (510) 486 6411    --    www.lavrijsen.net