[pypy-dev] Pypy MIPS port

Alexis BRENON abrenon at wyplay.com
Fri Apr 26 11:50:04 CEST 2013

Le 26/04/2013 11:04, Maciej Fijalkowski a écrit :
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Alexis BRENON <abrenon at wyplay.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm doing an internship into the Wyplay company. My internship subject is to
>> try to port pypy to MIPS architecture, to make it run on their boxes.
>>
>> I see that there was somebody who launched this idea two years ago, but
>> nothing was done... I would like to relaunch it today.
>>
>> If I understand the Pypy project architecture, all I have to do, is
>> modifying the 'rpython/jit' directory, adding a 'backend/mips' directory,
>> able to generate the JIT compiler for MIPS architecture, I don't ?
>> There is, after, a tiny modification to generate the mips options in the
>> makefile, for the C file compilation.
>>
>> Am I right ? If not, anyone can explain me what I misunderstood ?
>>
>> Regards.
>> Alexis BRENON, for Wyplay <http://www.wyplay.com/>
> Hi Alexis.
>
> It's very cool, MIPS is certainly one of the missing ports.
>
> In fact, it's less than that. Most of the rpython/jit directory does
> not have to be modified. It's 'just' rpython/jit/backend/mips and some
> support code in rpython/jit/backend/llsupport and that's it.
>
> The good starting point would be to add an empty MIPS backend and try
> running test_runner.py (like in backend/x86/test/test_runner.py or
> ARM). Are you familiar with ARM or x86 assembler? That would be a very
> good starting point to see how the current backends are implemented.
>
> Feel free to pop in on #pypy on irc.freenode.net, we're very
> irc-based. Is the part of the plan to contribute the MIPS backend to
> the pypy repo?
>
> Cheers,
> fijal

Of course, if I managed to make a good MIPS backend, I'll be pride to
merge it with the default branch of the pypy repo. Even if I don't reach
my goal, I'll commit all my work on the repo, to anybody interesting in
this port can continue it.

I did some assembler, 3 years ago, during my studies, but it was with a
very simple instruction set (I don't remember which processor we used),
and with the assembler directives, not the hexadecimal representation,
as I can see in the pypy code :-p

There is a lot of people on the IRC channel yet, and I'm pride to join
you, as alex-dit-sean.

Regards,
Alexis