[pypy-dev] Question about cffi cache dir

Michal Vyskocil mvyskocil at suse.cz
Thu Aug 8 15:39:59 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I have just updated pypy to 2.1 in our Open Build Service [1], but got
into a trouble with cache directory for cffi files. It seems that
__pycache__ is not created during a build, but on runtime, so my attempt
to build pypy using pypy ends on

[   66s] IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/usr/lib64/pypy-2.1/lib_pypy/__pycache__/_cffi__g7019d5d3xad93c709.c'

and I did not find __pycache__ made as a result of a build, neither of
python compile call.

Looking at lib_pypy/cffi/verifier.py it seems there is some support for
a tempdir in _caller_dir_pycache, set_tmpdir and clean_tmpdir. This
indicates that such directory is intended to be really temporary, so
there is no way to build it in advance and install with pypy package. Or
am I wrong?

So I would like to know

  1.) Is cache/tempdir for cffi files intended to be regenerated on each
    attempt, or it can be stable?
  2.) In case of stable, how can I create all __pycache__ files during
    build?
  3.) In opposite case, should not be there a default directory, which
    is expected to be writtable by end-users? eg: ~/.cache/pypy on unix?

[1] http://software.opensuse.org/package/pypy

Regards
Michal Vyskocil