[pypy-dev] Some benchmarking numbers

Laurence Tratt laurie at tratt.net
Wed Aug 28 15:28:05 CEST 2013

Some of you may remember an experiment that Carl Friedrich and I did at the
beginning of this year, comparing PyPy against various other VMs. I've
recently added V8 to the experiment, Tim Felgentreff has added Topaz, and
I've updated all other VMs to the latest public release. See the numbers
here:

  http://tratt.net/laurie/research/pubs/files/metatracing_vms/results/0.4/linux_x86_64_1.html

All the normal cautions about over-interpreting benchmark results
(particularly on synthetic micro-benchmarks) apply. Nevertheless, you may
still find this interesting.

In the future, it might be interesting to add the DeltaBlue benchmark for as
many languages as we can find. I'm not going to put too much work into this,
so patches are welcome:

  https://github.com/ltratt/metatracing_vms_experiment

Laurie
--