[pypy-dev] PyPy3 release?

Philip Jenvey pjenvey at underboss.org
Mon Dec 2 21:08:55 CET 2013

On Nov 27, 2013, at 9:25 AM, Armin Rigo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Any volunteer to handle the PyPy3 release corresponding to PyPy 2.2?

I wasn't intending to cut another release until I finished the integer re-optimizations I've been tackling lately, but we could do one anyway.

It's a bit weird w/ PyPy3 and PyPy sharing the version numbering scheme, at least for now, since it implies the release schedules are tied together. Maybe they should be though?

Calling it PyPy3 w/ the same version scheme seemed to make the most sense vs the other options. A PyPy3 v0.1 could have broken some cases of code like sys.pypy_version_tuple < (1, 5) in the wild. Calling it PyPy 3.0 would have made sense but forced the CPython 2.7 compat. PyPy stick with a 2.x scheme forever.

--
Philip Jenvey