[pypy-dev] Integrating CPython and PyPy, maybe

Davide Del Vento ddvento at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 3 23:54:19 CET 2013

Hi Armin,

>> Let me try to state a possible goal:
>>
>> Allow PyPy to become "exactly" drop-in replacement for CPython not
>>just the
>> current "almost", by using CPython itself for the things that  don't
>>work in
>> PyPy
>
> Thank you for stating this ambitious goal that I could not have
> thought about myself.  Sadly, however, I have to tell you, it
> doesn't work this way. :-)

I know it doesn't. However, if my understanding is correct, the only
incompatibilities between code that works on CPython and doesn't in
PyPy
is something that uses some non-pure-python libraries.

Now, if that is correct, you can use your technique to access those
libraries from CPython where they work by definition. Would these libs
work fine in PyPy with this hack?

If so, then we're done, at least in theory. In practice, the hack is a
lot of dirty code (including the always-changing path), but maybe it
could be scripted under something like a "native import" command which
could do all the plumbing work under the cover (and set the path once
and forever at install time in some way).

Am I missing something or is it simply too much work to make it right?

Cheers,
Davide