[pypy-dev] Helping with STM at the PyCon 2013 (Santa Clara) sprints

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Wed Feb 13 17:16:36 CET 2013

Hi Taavi,

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Taavi Burns <taavi.burns at gmail.com> wrote:
> From the list above, are there any particular areas (tickets?) that
> would be a good starting place for me to look at?

I can't just give you a specific task to do, but you can try to
understand what is here so far.  Look at the branch "stm-thread-2" on
the pypy repository; e.g. try to translate with "rpython -O2 --stm
targetpypystandalone".  This gives you a kind-of-GIL-less PyPy.  Try
to use the transaction module ("import transaction") on some demo
programs.  Then I suppose you should dive into the mess that is
multithreaded programming by looking in depth at
lib_pypy/transaction.py.  And this is all before diving into the PyPy
sources themselves...

You may also look at the work done by Remi Meier on his own separate
repository (https://bitbucket.org/Raemi/pypy-stm-logging).  It
contains mostly playing around with various ideas that haven't been
integrated back, or not yet.