[pypy-dev] installing after translating

Amaury Forgeot d'Arc amauryfa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 22:17:06 CEST 2013

Hi,

2013/6/20 Davide Del Vento <ddvento at ucar.edu>

> Folks,
>
> I've successfully translated pypy 2.0.2 as described here:
> http://pypy.org/download.html#**building-from-source<http://pypy.org/download.html#building-from-source>(which is slightly different from running make).
>
> Now I want to install it in a global location for others to use (it's on a
> machine shared by many users). The problem is, I've done this before, but I
> don't remember what I did and I did not write in my notes about translating.
>
> Do I just rename pypy-c to pypy, place it in a bin directory somewhere in
> the PATH and do the same with site-packages and PYTHONPATH (and
> corresponding actions to include, lib_pypy and lib-python directories)?
>
> Is there any reason why the makefile does not have an install target,
> possibly with prefix option (other than lack of interest or time to write
> it)?

The makefile is only to build the C binary. It is generated, by the way.

To build a pypy distribution, after translation you can call
pypy/tool/release/package.py; this is how the nightly downloads are made.

PyPy does not use any prefix or anything: to install, just unpack the .tgz
somewhere and eventually add a link in /usr/local/bin:
http://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/getting-started.html#installing-pypy

--
Amaury Forgeot d'Arc