[pypy-dev] PyPy + setuptools issue

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Wed Jun 26 10:52:25 CEST 2013

Hi Laurence,

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:03 AM, Laurence Tratt <laurie at tratt.net> wrote:
>> Sorry, I don't follow you.  As far as I know the Linux man page is not
>> clear about what occurs to errno if readdir() doesn't return NULL...
>
> Exactly :)
> (...)
> This all seems a big mess to me, but since I changed my code, I've had no
> problems with readdir (on OpenBSD or Linux), so I assume my defensive action
> was successful...

Ok, thanks :-)  I really have to wonder why Posix didn't say that
readdir() returning NULL on end-of-directory simply *sets* errno to 0.
 Or even why it wouldn't allow both behaviors (it doesn't change
anything if you set errno to 0 yourself before, and setting it to 0 is
what you need in all practical cases), recommend the saner one, and so
gradually phase out the old behavior.  I even wonder why some systems
don't implement a "readdir1()" function that does "errno=0;
readdir()"...  But enough pointless ranting :-)