[pypy-dev] RPython

Amaury Forgeot d'Arc amauryfa at gmail.com
Tue May 28 17:54:32 CEST 2013

Hello,

2013/5/28 Dirk Hünniger <dirk.hunniger at googlemail.com>

> Hello,
> I am working on a compiler for MediaWiki to LaTeX. Currently it is written
> in Haskell and Python3. I feel very insecure about the Python part and I
> would feel much safer if I had static typechecking in the Python part.
> Still I want the Python part to be able to run with normal Python
> interpreter. So it seems to me that converting the code to RPython might
> solve this issue for. Everything else is Ok, in particular speed is not an
> issue. What do you think.

RPython is not the language you are looking for.
No urllib, no xml, no codecs... open() is not even supported!
If you want a statically typed language, write C or Java.

But Python has strong type checks, only at runtime.
I think you'd better write unit tests, or some scripts to exercise the
various tools.
Good code coverage will catch all typos and also many mistakes a compiler
wouldn't tell you.

Amaury Forgeot d'Arc