[pypy-dev] progress with numpy and removal of numpy.py

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 10:59:55 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 15/10/13 12:45, matti picus wrote:
> and what about cloning the numpy repo into bitbucket/pypy to make it more of a
> "pypy owned" thing?

I think it's a good idea.

I propose the following:

1) we move your repo to bitbucket/pypy/numpypy

2) we package numpypy, so that people can just do "pip install numpypy"

3) once numpypy is installed, we no longer require the ugly "import numpypy";
a simple "import numpy" will just work.

4) for some time at least, we distribute a numpypy.py so that when imported it
prints an error message which explain how to get the newer numpypy

What do you think?