[pypy-dev] Windows 7 x64 development

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 10:28:06 CEST 2013

In a strange coincidence, compining for 64 bit windows was in today's
numpy mailing list, Christoph Gohlke wrote:

"
I would not recommend the VS Express version. Instead use the "Microsoft
Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1"
<http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3138>, which
contains compatible 32 and 64 bit compilers for Python 2.6 to 3.2. Use
the web installer or mount the ISO with VirtualCloneDrive
<http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html>. Then, on a command
prompt in the numpy source directory type (not tested, but should work
for 64 bit Python 2.7):

setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
call "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\SetEnv.Cmd"
/Release /x64 /vista
set DISTUTILS_USE_SDK=1
C:\Python27\python.exe setup.py build
"
Note that while using the VS Express version may give you a more
pleasant IDE to debug with, adapting the steps above to building CPython
should allow most of what's needed to implement the first steps of
Armin's plan.
Matti