[pypy-dev] Windows 7 x64 development

Clay Sweetser clay.sweetser at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 04:50:08 CEST 2013

On Sep 9, 2013 3:58 PM, "Robert Grosse" <n210241048576 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you sure that building CPython with the Windows SDK is actually
supported? I've found instructions online for building various Python
extensions with the free compiler, but I haven't been able to find anything
that works for building Python itself.
The tools provided by the windows SDK are the same tools that Visual Studio
uses. In that capacity, VS is little more than a GUI for the underlying
tools and configs.

Clay Sweetser

"Evil begins when you begin to treat other people as things." - Terry
Pratchett

> Running setup.py fails because sysconfig.get_config_var("CONFIG_ARGS")
returns None.

> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM, Clay Sweetser <clay.sweetser at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Um, I believe you're mistaken. Though it's true that visual studio
express doesn't *come * with a 64 bit compiler (at least on windows 7 and
below, the latest one for win8 does) you can still download the windows 64
bit SDK and use the one that comes with that.

>> Sincerely, Clay Sweetser
>>
>> "Evil begins when you begin to think of people as things." - Terry
Pratchett

>> On Sep 3, 2013 11:53 PM, "Robert Grosse" <n210241048576 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> It looks like CPython assumes the use of Visual Studio on Windows, but
the express edition does not support 64bit compilation. Would it be
feasible to use Mingw instead? I've looked around online, but it seems
pretty discouraging.