[pypy-dev] Cannot use MacPorts PyPy to Translate pypy-c

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Wed Sep 11 13:42:56 CEST 2013

Hi Armin,

On 09/11/2013 09:10 AM Armin Rigo wrote:
[...]
> Just reporting the error is plenty enough.  The issue is that it's a
> CFFI module which gets built (by calling the C compiler) the first
> time it is imported.  The library built is saved into some directory
> where (after installation) a normal user cannot write.  It's supposed
> to be imported once as part of the installation process, to
> pregenerate it.  It's what our own installation tool does
> (pypy/tool/release/package.py).

(Please excuse ignorance deriving from not having tried to build and install
pypy recently ;)

Is it not currently possible to build and install everything pypy
in user mode, in a user directory, e.g. ~/.pypy/versionstring/...
and chmod selectively to protect against accidental mods/deletes?

Will it not run properly via symlink from a directory in $PATH, or
maybe via an alias defined in ~/.bash_profile?

Regards,
Bengt Richter